Thursday, October 24, 2013

Haunted House

I've been really wanting to do a haunted house (and my 2 year old has been demanding Halloween decorations) so I got to work on something. I think every haunted house should have glitter. Actually, I think most things in life should be glittered!






Here is what you'll need
Paper mâché house
Glitter -Pink and Black
Acrylic paint -Pink and Black
Paint pallet
Mod Podge
Paint brushes
Sponge brush
Newspaper
Black feather boa
Glitter brush or a paint brush
Spray Acrylic
Hot glue gun
Exacto knife


These paper mâché houses can come a little beat up. Sometimes, I think they play Hackey Sack with them in the back. This is where your glue gun and exacto knife come into play. Don't be afraid to get a house with some blemishes. You may need to fix some holes or glue some wobbly parts.



1. First, paint your paper mâché house in the colors closest to your glitter. One coat is all that's needed. Acrylic paint dries pretty fast so I like to give it about 30 minutes. I used paint brushes of various sizes to do the detail work.

2. Lay out your newspaper on your work area. It's very important that you replace your newspaper when changing glitter colors. This keeps the glitter from mixing when you pour the excess back into the container.



3. Use your sponge brush and paint an even thin coat of Mod Podge in sections starting from the top. I would stick with one color at a time so that the glitter doesn't mix. I'm really a stickler for mixed glitter.




4. Apply your glitter. I used a super fine glitter for the pink parts. Dust off the parts of the house that will be a separate color with your glitter brush or unused paint brush.

5. When all the glittering is done, take the paper mâché house outside and apply the Spray Acrylic. This will keep all of your glitter from falling off and leaving a glitter trail all over your house. It's going to need to stay outside or in the garage for a few hours to dry and air out.

6. I set mine up with a feather boa going around it, but you could also get some crow feathers (fake) and create a nice effect.

7. Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment